Starting with first principles and the scientific method
America First Books
Featuring ebooks that find a truer path in uncertain times

Kevin Alfred Strom Archive


The Anthrax Murders:
The Israeli Connection, Part 1

American Dissident Voices broadcast
May 1, 2004
by Robert Pate
adapted for broadcast by
Kevin Alfred Strom


Welcome to American Dissident Voices. I'm Kevin Alfred Strom. Today's program was written by National Vanguard researcher Robert Pate and adapted for broadcast by myself. It is based on Mr. Pate's article in the latest National Vanguard print magazine, "The Anthrax Mystery: Solved." It is one of the most compelling and important stories we've told since this program began in 1991. The anthrax murders, which began shortly after the 9-11 terror attacks, remain officially unsolved. Was this bio-terrorism a case of an Arab attack on Americans because 'they hate our freedom'? Was it the work of a 'domestic terrorist' motivated by hate of the US media or government? You're about to hear the evidence, and the evidence points to none of these things: Instead it points to the anthrax attacks being an operation of a foreign intelligence service with capabilities and motives identical to those of the murderous Israeli Mossad. Listen to the evidence and decide for yourself as American Dissident Voices presents "The Anthrax Murders, the Israeli Connection," part 1:
ON OCTOBER 4, 2001, reporters in Florida announced the first case in 25 years of a person contracting the deadly bacterium anthrax. The following day, Robert Stevens, the photo editor of the Florida-based tabloid Sun, died. His death was the beginning of the Anthrax Mystery, America's worst-and most baffling-case of bio-terrorism. Days later, four other persons in the New York City and Washington, DC areas would die from anthrax spores that leaked from tainted letters sent through the mail. Seventeen others would become infected, and hundreds of millions of dollars would be spent on cleaning up contaminated office buildings and postal facilities. All of these events came just a few days after the tragedy of September 11. It appeared the terrorists had struck again, but this time the attack was biological.
Investigators believe seven letters containing anthrax spores were mailed. Four of the seven are thought to have been mailed on the same day and addressed to major media outlets in New York City: ABC News, CBS News, NBC News, and the New York Post. Of these, only the NBC and New York Post letters were recovered. Letters believed to be addressed to ABC News and CBS News offices caused two persons to develop anthrax infections. One was a seven-month-old boy brought in by his mother, a producer at ABC News; the other was an assistant to Dan Rather at CBS. These letters were never found.
The two recovered letters did not have a return address but were postmarked September 18, 2001 in Trenton, New Jersey. They contained identical messages tending to indicate that the perpetrators were Islamic terrorists. The notes read, "09-11-01, THIS IS NEXT, TAKE PENACILIN [sic] NOW, DEATH TO AMERICA, DEATH TO ISRAEL, ALLAH IS GREAT."
It is also believed an anthrax-laced letter was mailed to the National Enquirer.
Interestingly, hoax letters claiming to contain anthrax were mailed days later from St. Petersburg, Florida. However, instead of anthrax spores, these letters contained a harmless substance described by some as looking like talcum powder. One of these hoax letters was again addressed to NBC News in New York City. In addition, Judith Miller, the author of a book on bio-terrorism and a reporter on the Middle East for the New York Times, received an anthrax hoax letter at her office. The St. Petersburg Times and Fox News also received similar hoax letters.
The mailing of the hoax letters cannot be considered the work of a copycat. For example, the NBC News hoax letter was mailed on September 20. This would have been two days after the NBC News letter containing anthrax was mailed from Trenton, New Jersey. The remaining hoax letters were mailed between October 5 and 9. News reports naming media outlets that received the original anthrax letters were on October 12 and 13. A copycat mailer could have acted only after October 12, when the public first became aware of the media anthrax letters. The apparent purpose of mailing the hoax letters was to foster the anthrax scare and create a media frenzy.
The mailings of anthrax-laced letters from New Jersey and the Florida hoax letters that followed were probably coordinated. The mailing sites of Trenton, New Jersey and St. Petersburg, Florida were chosen, perhaps, to emphasize an Arab or Islamic connection in the minds of Americans. Trenton is the home of a large Arab-American community. Also, several of the September 11 hijackers had lived in both areas. The mailers of the anthrax and hoax letters wanted the public to think that remnants of al-Qaeda were still around and active.
However, the mailing of the anthrax letters shows a degree of media savvy that would be unusual for foreign Islamic terrorists. The persons who sent the letters knew which media outlets would have the greatest influence on the public. Even today, with the advent of cable and satellite television, the three major television broadcast networks remain as the primary source of news for most Americans. The New York Post and the National Enquirer are tabloid papers and were likely chosen for their sensational headlines. Of all the papers in New York City, the New York Post would have screamed the loudest concerning the threat from Islamic terrorists. For Americans who don't follow the news, the National Enquirer, with its presence at every checkout stand in America, would convey the message. The desired effect in choosing these media outlets was to alarm the public and to remind them these terrorists wanted to destroy both America and Israel.
But only five of the seven anthrax letters were sent to media outlets. The remaining two were addressed to members of the United States Senate. These letters were posted on Tuesday, October 9, exactly three weeks from the first anthrax mailings, and four weeks from September 11. The letters were addressed to two of America's most liberal Democrat Senators: Tom Daschle of South Dakota and Patrick Leahy of Vermont.
An aide opened the Daschle letter on October 15. A puff of powder quickly flew out of the letter. Capitol police were called and a Hazmat team sealed off the Senator's office. This letter had a different note that read, "09-11-01, YOU CAN NOT STOP US. WE HAVE THIS ANTHRAX. YOU DIE NOW. ARE YOU AFRAID? DEATH TO AMERICA. DEATH TO ISRAEL. ALLAH IS GREAT."
Once tests confirmed the Daschle letter actually contained anthrax, all Capitol mail was stopped and impounded for further investigation. The Leahy letter would be found on November 16 in the impounded mail. It also contained anthrax spores and an identical note. It is believed the Leahy letter was delayed and misdirected due to an initial misreading of the letter's zip code.
The Senate letters had a fictitious return address indicating they came from school children. The return address read, "4th Grade, Greendale School, Franklin Park NJ 08852." Apparently, it was thought a letter coming from school children would have a better chance of reaching the intended targets without raising suspicions.
The envelopes and notes have yielded few clues leading to the true identities of the persons who were responsible for the anthrax attacks. Obviously, the senders tried to mask who they were and to hide their true motives. Investigators turned to analyzing the anthrax material itself.
Anthrax is a spore-forming germ, Bacillus anthracis, and can be found in livestock such as sheep or cattle. Analysis of the spores from the letters revealed them all to be of the same strain. This particular strain, known as the Ames strain, was first researched at the Army's Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID), Fort Detrick, Maryland. This strain of anthrax bacteria originally came from a single cow that had died in Texas in 1981. Ames has the reputation of being deadlier than other anthrax strains. Some have called Ames the "gold standard" of anthrax.
From Fort Detrick, the Ames strain was sent to researchers in at least fifteen laboratories within the United States and six laboratories abroad. It is not known how many other universities and labs may have had access to the strain, but according to one law-enforcement official "more labs than you think" could have obtained the Ames strain.
In the past, microbiologists attending conferences on infectious diseases would take vials of various strains and simply swap them with each other to aid in their research. Martin Hugh-Jones, a scientist at Louisiana State University, stated that during this period deadly pathogens were traded "like playing cards."
Investigators examining the anthrax spores within the letters found them to be of different grades, with the best among them considered by some to be "weapons grade" material. A modern spray drying technique was used in preparing these spores, instead of the older method of milling. Also, radiocarbon dating found the spores to be relatively newly-created-not more than two years old.
Of the two anthrax letters that were recovered in New York City, the New York Post letter was found unopened and still contained the anthrax material. The NBC News anthrax letter tested positive for anthrax, but only a trace amount remained after it was opened. Major General John Parker, with the U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command, said one of his scientists described the New York Post sample as, "looking like Purina Dog Chow." It had coarse brown granules but was densely packed with anthrax spores and highly concentrated.
In contrast, the anthrax in the Daschle letter was like a fine white powder; General Parker compared it to talcum powder. Under the microscope the Daschle sample was ten times denser in anthrax spores when compared to the New York Post sample.
A team of scientists at the Fort Detrick lab opened the Leahy letter on December 5. This letter also contained a very fine powder which was easily made airborne. The Leahy letter had particles that were smaller and more uniform in size compared to the Daschle letter. This made the anthrax spores in the Leahy letter even deadlier: Smaller spores of a uniform size have a better chance of entering the respiratory system and causing death.
It was reported the quality of the anthrax spores found in the Leahy letter surpassed previously known state-sponsored bio-weapons programs. According to Newsweek, "The Leahy anthrax…was coated with a chemical compound unknown to experts who have worked in the field for years; the coating matches no known anthrax samples ever recovered from biological-weapons producers anywhere in the world, including Iraq and the former Soviet Union." The anthrax in the Leahy letter has proven to be a superior product. Bio-defense experts assisting the FBI have so far been unable to duplicate the anthrax material through any reverse engineering processes. Investigators are left with the uncertain choice of deciding if this was the work of a lone brilliant scientist-or a state-sponsored bio-weapons program.
So who sent the anthrax? Some, like Barbara Hatch Rosenberg with the leftist Federation of America Scientists (FAS), have a suspect. In her report, "Analysis of the Anthrax Attacks," Rosenberg presents her profile of the anthrax attacker, accompanied by her own political biases. Rosenberg believes the attacker has connections with the U.S. government. She believes he is being protected by the FBI and has information on secret programs the government does not wish to be disclosed.
In her profile, Rosenberg identified the attacker as a bio-defense insider with a doctoral degree. He is a middle-aged American who is skilled in working with dangerous pathogens. She boldly claims he is also a CIA contractor based in the Washington, DC area. There is no mystery as to the identity of Rosenberg's suspect. Her suspect is the person around whom she has built her profile: Dr. Steven J. Hatfill.
Barbara Rosenberg began her mission to 'bring Dr. Hatfill to justice' by giving a series of lectures and media interviews accusing the FBI of stalling the investigation. Eventually, she was able to arrange a meeting with Senate staffers and FBI agents in attendance. Several of the staffers worked for Senators Daschle and Leahy, the recipients of the anthrax letters. Without revealing his name, Barbara Rosenberg indicated to everyone there that her suspect, Dr. Hatfill, was responsible for the anthrax attacks.
A week later-apparently as a result of Senate pressure-the FBI brought Dr. Hatfill into public view. In an investigation that had previously been out of the spotlight, the media were now alerted to the FBI's scrutiny of Rosenberg's suspect. When the FBI searched Dr. Hatfill's apartment, the media, with helicopters overhead, covered it live on national television. The whole world was now aware of the public pursuit (and some would later say the public persecution) of Dr. Hatfill.
In response to this attention, Dr. Hatfill was forced to hold two press conferences and declare his innocence. On Aug. 11, 2002, Dr. Hatfill said, "After eight months of one of the most intensive public and private investigations in American history, no one-no one-has come up with a shred of evidence that I had anything to do with the anthrax letters."
Whatever their motives, the FBI was certainly having problems connecting Dr. Hatfill to the crimes: They could not place Hatfill in Trenton, New Jersey at the time of the mailings, and no residue of anthrax material could be found anywhere he had lived or visited. There was no physical evidence whatsoever connecting Dr. Hatfill with the anthrax mailings.
Hatfill is said to be one of perhaps 30 scientists who could have carried out this attack. His background as a former researcher at Fort Detrick placed him on the list. However, Dr. Hatfill claims to be an expert on viruses such as Ebola and Marburg, and not on anthrax bacteria. Dr. Hatfill has publicly stated that he has never worked with anthrax.
The FBI initially interviewed Dr. Hatfill in January 2002, apparently as part of the investigation's broader look at scientists with a connection to the bio-defense community. At that time, Dr. Hatfill took a lie-detector test in an effort to clear his name. The agent who gave him the test reportedly said, "I'm satisfied. I believe you had nothing to do with the anthrax."
Steven Hatfill studied biology at Southwestern College in Winfield, Kansas. During this period, he left his studies and traveled to Kapanga, Zaire, where he worked with Dr. Glenn Eschtruth as a medical missionary. After graduating from Southwestern in 1975, Hatfill enlisted in the United States Army. In October 1976 he married Caroline Eschtruth, the daughter of his mentor.
It would be only a few months after their marriage when Cuban-led mercenaries based in Angola attacked Dr. Eschtruth's mission. The mercenaries captured Dr. Eschtruth and later executed him, a tragedy which left a strong impression on Hatfill. He and his wife Caroline were divorced in May 1978. Shortly thereafter, Hatfill returned to Africa and continued his medical education.
Hatfill attended the Godfrey Huggins Medical School in White-ruled Rhodesia, graduating in 1984. While in Rhodesia, Hatfill claims to have served with the Selous Scouts. The Selous Scouts were Rhodesia's crack counterinsurgency troops used against the terrorists who wanted to overthrow the White government. In 1980, as a result of international pressure, Rhodesia was turned over to the Black Mugabe government, which still rules there today. The country would later have its name changed to Zimbabwe. In 1984, Hatfill moved to the Republic of South Africa to further his medical studies and research.
While in South Africa, Hatfill was in contact with Aquila, the paramilitary wing of the Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging (AWB) or Afrikaner Resistance Movement. The AWB was the largest White resistance group active in preventing the Black takeover of South Africa. Some have labeled the AWB a 'neo-Nazi' organization. One has only to look at their political banner to come to this conclusion: It is very similar to National Socialist Germany's swastika flag but, instead of a swastika, uses a triskelion-an ancient symbol which resembles three "sevens" arranged in a spinning design.
A colleague of Hatfill's at Stellenbosch University's radiobiology laboratory saw a newspaper photo of AWB leader Eugene Terre'Blanche surrounded by Dr. Hatfill and members of the Aquila Brigade. This colleague-in an apparent effort to expose Hatfill-placed the photo on the lab's notice board. When confronted, Hatfill made no secret of his AWB ties. The colleague claimed, "This photo was put up on the lab notice board-and led to Hatfill boasting that he was the weapons trainer of the Western Cape Branch of Aquila." Since that time, the photo has not been seen by the public.
Several amazing coincidences have contributed to the intense interest in Hatfill shown by investigators. They also help to explain why some, like Barbara Rosenberg, are so convinced Dr. Hatfill was responsible for the anthrax attacks.
One coincidence concerning Dr. Hatfill and his times in Africa is the "Greendale School" reference that appeared as the return address on the anthrax letters sent to Senators Daschle and Leahy. There was an upscale suburb of Salisbury, Rhodesia, known as Greendale; the neighborhood school there was informally known as Greendale School. The school was actually named after White Rhodesian patriot Courtney Selous, after whom the Selous Scouts were named. As mentioned previously, Hatfill claims to have served with this group.
Another coincidence involves Dr. Hatfill's commissioning William Patrick, an expert on weaponized anthrax, to write a report on the proper procedures to be used if an anthrax letter arrived in the mail. Hatfill's employer at the time, Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC), saw a need for emergency responders to know exactly what to do if this were ever to occur.
In the SAIC report, written two years before the anthrax mailings, Patrick describes how a few grams of anthrax spores could be sent in envelopes and details the proper emergency procedures that should be followed if this were to take place. The report was provided to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta. They, at the time, were working on a similar report and provided the information they assembled to police and fire departments via the Internet. Dr. Hatfill's attorney Victor Glasberg denies the Patrick report was any type of "blueprint" for an anthrax mailing. Glasberg said, "There is zero data in the report. It shows you what you do after it happens."
Perhaps the most suspicious coincidence was the mysterious anthrax hoax letter mailed from London, England, in November 2001, and addressed to Senator Tom Daschle. Within the envelope were a powdery substance and a threatening note. At the time of the mailing, Hatfill was in England training to be a United Nations bio-weapons inspector for a future mission in Iraq. As previously mentioned, several anthrax hoax letters were mailed to media organizations. This hoax letter was the first and only one sent to a Senator. Some within the FBI wonder if the London letter may have been an attempt to frame Dr. Hatfill.
One outfit that has spent a great deal of time and energy in blaming Dr. Hatfill for the anthrax attacks is the Jewish Defense Organization (JDO). This group has labeled Hatfill a "Nazi" because of his ties to the Afrikaner Resistance Movement. In The Weekly Standard article, "The Hunting of Steven J. Hatfill," David Tell claims the JDO is responsible for spreading many of the damning accusations that now surround Dr. Hatfill. The JDO is an offshoot of the terrorist Jewish Defense League, founded by the late Rabbi Meir Kahane. Today, the JDO spends most of its time feeding reporters and commentators hateful and misleading information concerning Dr. Hatfill. Tell describes the JDO as the "central clearinghouse of Hatfill demonology." He claims mainstream reporters will use the JDO material on Hatfill but will never acknowledge their source. It is interesting that a small extremist group like the Jewish Defense Organization appears to have been the first to "document" the background and personal history of Dr. Steven Hatfill.
The evidence is mounting that Dr. Hatfill is an innocent man and had nothing to do with the anthrax attacks. Reporters and investigators will realize this when those responsible for the anthrax mailings are identified.

* * *

Be sure and listen next week to 'The Anthrax Murders: The Israeli Connection, part 2," written by National Vanguard magazine researcher Robert Pate and adapted for broadcast by Kevin Alfred Strom. You can read the full and unabridged article, fully referenced and documented, only in National Vanguard magazine. A copy may be obtained for $5 postpaid in the US and Canada, $8 elsewhere. A six-issue subscription is only $18 in the US, $26 in Canada, and $36 worldwide. Write to National Vanguard Books, Box 330, Hillsboro WV 24946 USA. Or you may order online at or



For the latest contact, donation, and other update information regarding Kevin Alfred Strom, please visit his web page at Please also visit, and Prices, addresses, and availability information pertaining to materials cited in his works are subject to change.

Please also visit the America First Institute donation page.




Flag carried by the 3rd Maryland Regiment at the Battle of Cowpens, S. Carolina, 1781

© America First Books
America First Books offers many viewpoints that are not necessarily its own in order to provide additional perspectives.